Master of Arts in Education: Teaching the Linguistically Diverse provides candidates with the latest research in how students acquire English. The emphasis is based on the State of Colorado Teacher Performance Standards for preparing teachers to teach culturally and linguistically diverse learners, using strategies to address students’ specific learning needs. This degree meets the academic requirements for the Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Education Endorsement (CLDE) in the State of Colorado.
1. Successful completion of 36 semester hours from required CLDE endorsement courses (21 semester hours), LDE seminars/electives (3 semester hours), and Master‘s Core (12 semester hours) with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.000.
2. Successful completion of a CAP Review the final semester of a candidate‘s program. The CAP Review provides a platform for degree candidates to present evidence of their growth and change as a result of their learning experiences in the MAE Program. The student‘s developing portfolio provides resources for the CAP Review.
3. Practicum experience appropriate to licensure area.
5. Students must be competent in reading, writing, and speaking English. They must have a commitment to the field of multicultural education and demonstrate cross-cultural sensitivity.
Total Master of Arts in Education: Teaching the Linguistically Diverse Degree Requirements 36 SH
- LDE Endorsement Courses 21 SH
- LDE Seminar Courses 3 SH
- Master‘s Core Courses 12 SH
Listed below are the degree requirements for completion of the M.A. in Education: Teaching the Linguistically Diverse.
Please note that recent course requirement updates might not be listed and you should contact the Office of Enrollment Services at 303.458.4126.
|Total Degree Requirements (36 credit hours)
|Linguistically Diverse Education Courses
||21 credit hours
|Linguistically Diverse Seminar Courses
||3 credit hours
|Master's Core Courses
||12 credit hours
|Graduate MA in Education: Teaching the Linguistically Diverse Course Offerings:
||Multicultural Perspectives (2 ch)
||Connecting Beliefs, Theory and Practice (3 ch)
||Action Research: Foundations (3 ch)
||Action Research: Application (2 ch)
||Curriculum Theory and Application (2 ch)
||Evaluation Theory and Application (2 ch)
||Teaching Strategies for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Educators (3 ch)
||Linguistics I: Language Acquisition (3 ch)
||Foundations of Education for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Educators (3 ch)
||Assessment for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Education (3 ch)
||Practicum for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Education (2 ch)
||Literacy for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Education (3 ch)
||Linguistics II: Form and Function (2 ch)
||Linguistically Diverse Seminar (3 ch)
||Culminating Academic Program (CAP) Review (0 ch)