Job posted on:
07 Apr 2015
Job starts on:
15 Jun 2015
2 Steele St., Denver, Colorado 80206
Desired Skills & Experience:
Cherry Creek Arts Festival (“Cherry Arts”) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit art services organization whose mission is to provide access to a broad array of arts experiences and support arts education in Colorado. Along with the special event productions, Cherry Arts fulfills its year-round art education and outreach mission through programs including the Mobile Art Gallery, Artist in Residence programs and the Janus Student Art Buying Program.
Cherry Arts has produced The Cherry Creek Arts Festival (CCAF), its signature cultural event for Colorado, annually during the 4th of July weekend since 1991. The Cherry Creek Arts Festival weekend is a world-class and award-winning celebration of the visual, culinary and performing arts, and enjoys an attendance of 350,000 visitors over the three-day event. CCAF gives patrons the FREE, rare and special opportunity to meet and talk with international visual artists, sample fine cuisine, visit special exhibits, and entertain their families with interactive “Artivities” and exciting performing arts.
Cherry Arts has recently added an all-new event, Art Denver, to the event repertoire. Art Denver offers a showcase of Fine Art, Fine Fashion, Fine Design and Fine Colorado Makers and takes place in the fall, providing the Denver community with another important opportunity to experience high quality visual and performing arts and learn from active artists.
The board of Cherry Arts now seeks a dynamic, visionary, highly skilled President & CEO to direct the next chapter of the development of this cultural icon. At the core of this role is delivering our annual arts festival professionally, creatively, and thoughtfully while adhering to the budget. The President & CEO also directs efforts to expand our reach into other events and to broaden our education offerings. The annual budget of Cherry Arts is $2.5 million, and we employ a fulltime staff of five dedicated professionals. Supporting our annual summer festival, we use the services of 500 talented volunteers, and our education programs reach students in a number of different ways.
The President & CEO works closely with the Board of Directors and consultants to plan and execute sponsorship strategies and ensures the achievement of short and long term financial goals. The President & CEO develops and maintains strong relationships with various other constituents including the Cherry Creek North Business Improvement District, the Cherry Creek Mall, the Cherry Creek Neighborhood Association, and other civic and cultural institutions.
Qualified candidates for this position will have the following skills and experience:
1. Commitment to Mission
• Thorough commitment to the mission, objectives, and programs of Cherry Arts including commitment to providing access to a broad array of arts experiences and to support arts education in Colorado.
• A sincere appreciation for the arts with demonstrated engagement in the cultural landscape. Additionally candidates should have an understanding of how art adds value to people’s lives.
• Understands how to develop high quality, creative cultural programming.
2. Leadership and Management Skills
• Minimum of 7 years in a leadership role in a nonprofit or private sector organization with strong business acumen and experience in driving business results.
• Demonstrated ability to develop and implement a strategic vision for an organization.
• Experience in engaging relevant stakeholders in an organization’s vision, including sponsors, community partners, volunteers, and other constituents.
• Proven experience in leading the growth of organizations and their resources and/or developing new lines of business or programs effectively.
• Demonstrated experience in revenue generation and developing long term sources of financial support especially from corporate representatives.
• Demonstrated ability to lead people and get results through others while working in a team environment.
• Demonstrated ability to organize, direct, plan and coordinate operations including budget planning and reporting as well as active budget management across all departments.
• Experience in recruiting, retaining, developing, and maintaining highly functioning staff members and holding them accountable for results.
• Experience in working with a governing board and building their collective capabilities.
• Technologically savvy and curious; open to using new forms of technology to support operations and to enhance programming.
3. Program & Event Delivery Skills
• Strong organizational skills with an attention to detail and the ability to operate in a flexible environment. Ability to embrace change and to lead others in supporting change efforts.
• Experience in high profile event production and in developing successful new events with sustainable financial and community support.
• Demonstrated ability to juggle multiple tasks, priorities, and agendas.
• Strong demonstrated communication skills, both oral and written.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the Board of Directors, sponsors, staff, community groups, artists, volunteers, and civic agencies.
• Experience in working with and motivating volunteers.
• Willingness and ability to work extended hours including nights and weekends.
4. Personal Qualities
? A high level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive situations and varying personality types while possessing poise, tact, and diplomacy.
? Leadership skills, including negotiation, problem solving, decision making, delegation.
? Commitment to outstanding customer service.
? Proven ability to represent the Cherry Arts mission actively, enthusiastically, and consistently with a diverse group of stakeholders; clear ability to demonstrate the unique value Cherry Arts brings to the metro Denver area.
? Authentic, resourceful, entrepreneurial, flexible, proactive.
? Calm under pressure, with a high standard of integrity and professionalism
? Has a sense of humor.
5. Additional Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university; advanced degree preferred.
• Willingness to live in the Denver metro area and be an active member of the community.
Above all, we seek a proven leader who is passionate about increasing the public’s understanding and appreciation of artistic expression, who knows how to help organizations grow and develop, who values building long term relationships with a wide variety of constituents, and who can manage the complexities of a multi-day, large cultural event.
If this describes you, then we want to hear from you.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply by sending a cover letter, resume, and salary history to our search consultant, Carolyn McCormick of Peak HR Consulting, LLC at Carolyn.McCormick@peakhrconsulting.com. All applications are to be submitted via email. To learn more about Cherry Arts and this position, please visit us at www.cherryarts.org.
Cherry Arts strives to make all personnel decisions without regard to race, creed, age, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, gender, gender expression, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class as required by applicable law. All employees are expected to actively support these principles and objectives in our work environment and with others with whom we come into contact.
General Job Description:
In conjunction with the Board of Directors, the President & CEO develops and executes the strategic vision for the Cherry Creek Arts Festival (“Cherry Arts”) in accordance with its mission and for the long term success of the organization. The President & CEO then implements that vision through detailed plans and effective and efficient operations. The President & CEO is responsible for enhancing and maintaining a strong collaborative, results-oriented culture that drives the organization and its staff to achieve excellence.