- PhD, Mathematical and Computer Sciences, Engineering minor, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, CO, 1992
- Bachelor of Science in Physics, Mathematics minor, Andrews University, Berrien Springs, MI, 1980
- Recipient of a National Science Foundation Grant for undergraduate research at the University of Chicago in high-energy physics. Worked on the installation of a Cerenkov radiation detector at the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory.
Professional Credentials & Memberships
- Software engineering: Working knowledge of all areas of software engineering as defined in the Software Engineering Body of Knowledge published by the IEEE Computer Society.
- Software development:
- Expert knowledge of the C, C++, Java, C#, and Fortran programming languages.
- Experience using distributed software development techniques such as JEE Servlets and JSPs, Java Web Services, and .NET Web Services.
- Experience using many other programming languages extending from IBM mainframe assembler to various scripting languages like Perl, Python, and Ruby. Have experience with functional languages such as Scheme and Haskell. Also have experience with logic programming using Prolog.
- Experience using various software packages for prototyping computations and visualization, including Mathematica and Matlab.
- Modern statistical data analysis techniques and machine learning algorithms
- Expert knowledge and experience writing software for neural networks, decision trees, and other data mining and machine learning techniques.
- Knowledge of various methods for statistical inference and modeling
- Time series analysis and signal processing
- Expert knowledge and experience writing software for geophysical signal processing.
- Knowledge of various methods for analysis of time series and for design of linear and nonlinear filters.
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), Voting Member
- Elevated to Senior Member of the IEEE in 2006
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), Voting Member
Academic & Professional Experience
- Regis University, School of Computer & Information Sciences, Denver, CO:
- Professor and Chair of the Information Technology Department, Program Coordinator for the M.S. in Software Engineering degree, 2002-present
- Affiliate Faculty, M.S. in Computer Information Technology program, 2000-2002
- WesternGeco LLC, Denver, CO:
- Senior Research Scientist, 2001-2002
- Senior Research Geophysicist, 1992-2001
- Research Geophysicist, 1989-1992
- Special Data Processing Projects Supervisor, 1984-1989
- Colorado School of Mines, Adjunct Professor, Department of Mathematics and Computer Sciences, Golden, CO, 1999-2006
- Petty-Ray Geophysical Company, Geophysicist, Englewood, CO, 1981-1984
- Amoco Production Company, Geophysicist, Houston, TX, 1980-1981