Available both online and on-campus, the M.Ed. with initial teacher licensure in Secondary Education is designed for those who want to make a difference in adolescents’ lives, grades 7-12, who would like to become licensed in the state of Colorado or Wyoming. Regis University's Teacher Education program is nationally approved through the Teacher Education Accreditation Council (TEAC).
Our Teacher Education program is based on the philosophy that learning to be a teacher is best accomplished when an understanding of theory and practice is balanced by the knowledge gained through diverse experience in schools. Foundational courses will introduce you to theories in education. Content (subject area) courses will ensure that you have the depth of knowledge needed to teach in your endorsement area. Your professional sequence courses will emphasize field placement and experiential learning and your student teaching semester will be your final culmination in applying what you have learned.
Regis University's teacher licensure program develops educational leaders who improve and transform society. The curriculum emphasizes four distinctive areas:
- Jesuit ideals including serving others, striving for excellence and reflective practice
- Service learning integrated into every program, integrating theory with practical application
- Curriculum focused on developing teachers who are data literate and able think critically
- Instructional technology embedded into every course to help teachers inspire a deeper level of learning among students
A graduate license/endorsement is dependent on the major of your bachelor's degree. If the level and area of license/endorsement you are seeking does not correspond to your specific major, you may need to take additional undergraduate credits as required by Colorado or Wyoming laws and regulations for license/endorsement.
Paraprofessionals are offered a 10% preferred tuition discount for education courses at CPS. Contact an admissions counselor for details.
Total M.Ed. with Secondary Licensure Requirements: 45 credit hours
- Foundational courses – gate 1: 15 credit hours
- Graduate professional sequence courses – gate 2: 15 credit hours
- Graduate professional sequence courses – gate 3: 12 credit hours
- Capstone requirement: 3 credit hours
Secondary Education Endorsement Areas
In addition to the foundational course requirements, each Secondary Endorsement area has curriculum respective to that area. Students will work with their academic advisor to determine the courses needed to fulfill the additional requirements for their endorsement area:
- Foreign Language (French, German, Spanish)*
- Social Studies
*Students seeking licensure in Secondary Foreign Language, Math or Science must enter the program with a completed bachelor’s degree in the respective area.
||Educational Foundations (3 credit hours)
||Philosophical Foundations of Education (3 credit hours)
||Educational Psychology (3 credit hours)
||Equity, Ethics and Social Justice in Education (3 credit hours)
||Universal Design for Learning: A Framework for Teaching and Learning (3 credit hours)
||Effective Learning Environments (3 credit hours)
||Teaching Reading and Writing (3 credit hours)
||Reading and Writing in the Content Area (3 credit hours)
||Methods of Teaching Secondary in the Content Area (3 credit hours)
||Assessment of Learning for Secondary (3 credit hours)
||Student Teaching (10 credit hours)
||Professionalism in Education (2 credit hours)
||Educational Research and Critical Reflection I (3 credit hours)
|TOTAL DEGREE REQUIREMENTS: 45 credit hours
Please note that recent course requirement updates may not be reflected in the list above and you should contact an admissions counselor at 800.944.7667 for recent changes and updates.
To download a printable fact sheet with program details, click here.
How to Apply
Take the next step in your Regis experience and connect with a Regis admissions counselor for information and assistance.
MATERIALS NEEDED FOR APPLICATION AND ADMISSION
Applicants seeking a master's degree from the College for Professional Studies must possess a baccalaureate degree from a U.S. regionally accredited college or university.
- Application: Completed graduate application form
- Application fee: $75.00 non-refundable application fee (waived for Regis University graduates)
- Submit official transcript from each previously attended U.S. regionally accredited college or university. Official transcript must be sent directly from your previously attended schools to the CPS Admission Office.
- Minimum overall GPA of 2.75 from previously attended colleges and universities
- Critical analysis essay
- Oath and consent information
- Current resume
- One observation form from a person who has observed the applicant with children of the appropriate age
- Criminal background check: Applicants must have a $45 background check in order to complete their online application. View and print the instructions, consent for background check and disqualifying offenses documents to get started.
- Secondary Education license/endorsements in foreign language (French/German/Spanish), math, or science must have completed a bachelor's degree in the specific area before they can apply to the Master of Education program.
- Additional admission requirements apply to international students who are non-U.S. citizens
- Please remember: Applications that are incomplete and/or missing information will NOT be processed
- Once registered in your first course, a $90 Task Stream fee will be applied toward your tuition. This fee is eligible for financial aid. Task Stream creates a webfolio where all evaluations, projects, papers and field hours are tracked in once place, which can be provided as a link to principals when you apply for teaching positions.
||May 5, 2014
||April 7, 2014
||August 25, 2014
||July 28, 2014
*Your application file including all requirements, documents and fees, must be completed by the application deadline.
Regis University Tuition: M.Ed. with Initial Licensure - Secondary Education
||Estimated Total Program Cost
||Credit Hours Required
||Cost per Credit Hour
||Estimated Fees for Program
Directed study costs $475 per credit hour
Please note: Additional fees may apply to Regis University students. Please contact an admissions counselor at 800.944.7667 for information.