Regis University's Master of Education in Special Education with added endorsement is designed for educators seeking the expertise needed to effectively teach students with a wide variety of special needs, ages five to 21, in the state of Colorado. Our Teacher Education program is nationally approved through the Teacher Education Accreditation Council (TEAC).
The Teacher Education program is based on the philosophy that learning to be a teacher is best accomplished when an understanding of theory and practice is balanced by the knowledge gained through diverse experience in schools. Foundational courses will introduce you to theories in education. Content (subject area) courses will ensure that you have the depth of knowledge needed to teach in your endorsement area. Your professional sequence courses will emphasize field placement and experiential learning and your student teaching semester will be your final culmination in applying what you have learned.
Regis University's teacher education program develops educational leaders who improve and transform society. The curriculum emphasizes four distinctive areas:
- Jesuit ideals including serving others, striving for excellence and reflective practice
- Service learning integrated into every program, integrating theory with practical application
- Curriculum focused on developing teachers who are data literate and able think critically
- Instructional technology embedded into every course to help teachers inspire a deeper level of learning among students
Total Degree and Added Endorsement Requirements: 43 credit hours
Printable Fact Sheet: To download a printable fact sheet with details about required classes, admissions requirements, and start dates, please visit our fact sheet library. Please note: The best source for the most current information is an admissions counselor.
Foundational Requirements (6 credit hours)
||Equity, Ethics and Social Justice in Education (3 credit hours)*
||Educational Research and Critical Reflection I (3 credit hours)*
|*Service learning sequence courses require continual service learning throughout. Service learning partnership is established in EDES 603.
Professional Sequence Courses (36 credit hours)
||Universal Design for Learning: A Framework for Teaching and Learning (3 credit hours)*
||Special Education Law (3 credit hours)
||Mathematic Intervention for Children with Special Needs (3 credit hours)
||Teaching Reading and Writing (3 credit hours)
||Assessment and Planning for Exceptional Students (3 credit hours)
||Behavioral Analysis and Intervention (3 credit hours)
||Literacy for Students with Special Needs (3 credit hours)
||Transition and Secondary Services (3 credit hours)
||Consultation and Collaboration Skills (3 credit hours)
||Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Learners (3 credit hours)
|Choose 1 elective course (3 credit hours) from the following:
||Introduction to the Young Special Needs Child for Special Education Teachers (3 credit hours)
||Characteristics of Pupils who Have Autism (3 credit hours)
||Emergent Literacy (3 credit hours)
||Introduction to the Gifted Learner (3 credit hours)
Master’s Degree Requirements (1 credit hour)
||Educational Research and Critical Reflection II (1 credit hour)
|TOTAL DEGREE REQUIREMENTS: 43 credit hours
Please note that recent course requirement updates may not be reflected in the list above and you should contact an admissions counselor at 800.944.7667 for recent changes and updates.
To download a printable fact sheet with program details, click here.
How to Apply
Take the next step in your Regis experience and connect with a Regis admissions counselor for information and assistance.
NOTE: Regis University’s Master of Education program is nationally accredited by the Teacher Education Accreditation Council (TEAC). The states of Arkansas and Kentucky do not recognize this accreditation. Please call your state council on higher education to get more details.
MATERIALS NEEDED FOR APPLICATION AND ADMISSION
Applicants seeking a master's degree from Regis University must possess a baccalaureate degree from a U.S. regionally accredited college or university.
- Application: Completed graduate application form
- Application fee: $75.00 non-refundable application fee (waived for Regis University graduates)
- Submit official degree-bearing transcript a U.S. regionally accredited institution. Download the transcript request form.
- Minimum overall GPA of 2.75 on degree-bearing transcript with option of supplying additional course work transcripts
- Critical analysis essay
- Oath and consent information
- Current resume
- One online observation form from a person who has observed the applicant with children of the appropriate age
- Copy of current teaching license
- Criminal background check: Applicants must have a $45 background check in order to complete their online application. View and print the instructions and disqualifying offenses to get started.
- Additional admission requirements apply to international students who are non-U.S. citizens
- Please remember: Applications that are incomplete and/or missing information will NOT be processed
||January 5, 2015
||December 8, 2014
||May 4, 2015
||April 6, 2015
||August 24, 2015
||July 27, 2015
*Your application file including all requirements, documents and fees, must be completed by the application deadline.
2014-2015 Academic Year Tuition: Effective Fall 2014 - August 25, 2014
||Estimated Total Program Cost
||Credit Hours Required
||Cost per Credit Hour
||Estimated Fees for Program
Directed study costs $475 per credit hour.
Please note: Additional fees may apply. Please contact an admissions counselor at 800.944.7667 for information.
Licensed educators and paraprofessionals are eligible to receive a 10% preferred tuition discount for teacher education courses at CPS. Contact an admissions counselor at 800.944.7667 for details.