- Doctorate in Education (EdD), Curriculum and Instruction, emphasis on Literacy, University of Colorado at Boulder, 1994
- Master of Arts in Reading, emphasis on learning disabilities in reading and writing, diagnosis and remediation, clinical remediation of students from first grade through adults, University of Colorado at Denver, 1976
- Additional graduate work at the University of Washington, Curriculum, Instruction and Minority Education, 1971-1972
- Bachelor of Science in Education, Elementary Education, minors in English and Social Sciences, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, 1968
Professional Credentials & Memberships
- Professional Teacher License, Colorado, 1994-2015
- Type B Professional, Colorado, 1972-1994
- Elementary and Junior High, Washington, 1971-1974
- Elementary Education, Secondary Education for the areas of American History and English, New Mexico, 1968-1972
- Elementary Education, Nebraska, 1968-1973
- Colorado Council of the International Reading Association, CCIRA
- Colorado Consortium of Special Education Teacher Educators (CCSETE), Charter Member, 2003-2011
- National Association for Academic Advisors (NACADA), 1989
- Western College Reading and Learning Association (WCRLA)
- Colorado Association for Children with Learning Disabilities (CACLD
Academic & Professional Experience
- Regis University, School of Education & Counseling:
- Program Coordinator, Master of Education in Reading, 2009-present
- Faculty Chair, School of Education graduate programs, 2004-2010
- Professor, 1996-present
- Faculty, 1988-1996
- Coordinator CBTE, 1994-1996
- Loretto Heights College, Faculty, 1980-1988
- University of Colorado at Boulder, Instructor, Elementary Reading Methods classes, 1985-1986
- Metropolitan State College, Instructor, Denver, CO, 1981-1983
- University of Colorado at Denver, Instructor, fall 1980
- Academic Prep School, Instructor, 1976-1981
- St. James Episcopal School, Instructor, Kent, WA, 1971-1972
- Red Rocks School, Instructor, Grades four, five, six, Native American population (ESL), Gallup, NM, 1968-1970
Research & Scholarship
Publications and Professional Papers
- A Descriptive Study of Research Based Reading Strategies in Two Sixth-grade Social Studies Classrooms. 1994. Doctoral dissertation, University of Colorado at Boulder.
- Colorado Writing Project. Summer 1983. Consultant through University of Colorado for development of writing project curriculum for Littleton and Aurora school districts. Used in the districts the following year.
- Starting Study Skills Classes for College Students. 1983. WCRLA (Western College Reading and Learning Association), Notional Conference, Portland. Presented session on starting up study skills classes at colleges.
- They Do Belong: Mainstreaming the Hearing Impaired. 1981. The Listen Foundation and Petro Lewis Corporation. Authored and edited booklet for distribution to school districts with hearing impaired children. Second printing 1983. Third printing and revision, 1996. Circulation throughout the U.S. as well as Australia, France, England, and other foreign countries.
- “The Graded Word List is not a shortcut to an IRI”. The Reading Teacher. March 1978. Comparative study of a graded word list with an informal reading inventory.
- “Academic Prep School Curriculum Guide”. 1977. Developed reading and English sections. Edited guide.