- PhD, MSIS, Telecommunications, Oklahoma State University
- Master of Science in Engineering, Interdisciplinary Telecommunications program, University of Colorado
- Bachelor of Arts, Linguistics, University of Washington
Professional Credentials & Memberships
- CISCO Certified Entry Networking Technician (CCENT) Certification, effective April 2009
- CISCO Certified Network Associate (CCNA) Certification in progress
- Network Protocols: SS7, ISDN, TCP/IP, 802.2/3/11x, SIP, H.323, GSM, CDMA, SONET, and ATM, along with a variety of older PSTN access and transport protocols
- Security Tools Wireshark, Snort, Nessus, and more
- Programming languages: Java, C, C++, Fortran, Pascal, SmallTalk, and VBA
- Statistical skills: SPSS, SAS data miner, multivariate analysis
- Institute for Electrical and Electronic Engineers Member, 1991-present
Academic & Professional Experience
- Regis University, Assistant Professor, Program Coordinator for B.S. in Computer Networking and M.S. in Systems Engineering programs, Denver, CO, 2010-present
- University of Colorado, Adjunct Professor, Interdisciplinary Telecommunications program, College of Engineering, Boulder, CO, 2009-2010
- University of Denver, Adjunct Professor, Information & Communications Technology, University College Curriculum Consultant, University College ICT program, Denver, CO, 2008-2010
- Oklahoma State University, Instructor, Management Science & Information Systems, Spears School of Business, Stillwater, OK, 2002-2007
- Nortel Networks & Bell Northern Research, Canada & U.S., 1991-2001:
- Manager, Custom Network Planning, Ottawa, ON, Canada
- Manager, Knowledge Partnership Program, Ottawa, ON, Canada
- Senior Consultant, Business & Network Planning, Ottawa, ON, Canada
- Regulatory Consultant, Systems Engineering, Bell Northern Research (BNR), Richardson, TX & Ottawa, ON, Canada
- Member of Technical Staff, Systems Engineering Division, Bell Northern Research (BNR), Richardson, TX
- AGS Information Services, Inc., Contract Software Developer, Denver, CO, 1991
- Cable Television Laboratories, Student Research Assistant, Boulder, CO, 1991
- University of Colorado, Graduate Teaching Assistant, Professional Research Assistant, Boulder, CO, 1988-1991
Research & Scholarship
- Barnes, S.D. and Biros, D.P. “An Exploratory Study of Computer Mediated Communications on Cyber Stalking Severity,” Journal of Digital Forensics, Security, and Law, 2007 2(3).
- Barnes, Stephen D., “An ISDN Desktop Central Office Switch for Rural & Remote Area Communications.” Telecommunications, March 1991.
Refereed Conference Proceedings
- Barnes, S.D., Biros D.P., Weiser, M., and Romano, N., “Incorporating Information Assurance in Systems Analysis and Design Curriculum,” Americas Conference on Information Systems, 2007.
- Barnes, S.D. and Biros, D.P. “An Exploratory Study of Computer Mediated Communications on Cyber Stalking Severity,” The 2nd Conference on Digital Forensics, Security and Law, April 2007.