- PhD, MSIS, Telecommunications, Oklahoma State University
- MS in Engineering/Telecommunications, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO
- BA in Linguistics, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
Academic & Professional Experience
- Regis University - Assistant Professor and Program Coordinator, MS in Systems Engineering & BS in Computer Networking programs, School of Computer & Information Sciences, Denver, CO 2010 to present
- University of Colorado – Adjunct Professor, Interdisciplinary Telecommunications Program, College of Engineering, Boulder, CO, 2009 to 2010
- University of Denver – 2008 to 2010
- Adjunct Professor, Information & Communication Technology, University College
- Curriculum Consultant, Information & Communication Technology, University College
- Oklahoma State University – Instructor, Management Science & Information Systems, Spears School of Business, Stillwater, OK, 2002 to 2007
- Nortel Networks & Bell Northern Research, Canada & U S, 1991-2001
- Manager, Customer Network Planning, Ottawa, ON
- Manager, Knowledge Partnership Program, Ottawa, ON
- Senior Consultant, Business & Network Planning, Ottawa, ON
- Regulatory Consultant, Systems Engineer, BNR, Richardson TX & Ottawa, ON
- Member of Technical Staff, Systems Engineering Division, BNR, Richardson, TX
- AGS Information Services, Inc., Contract Software Developer, Database Implemenation, Denver, CO, 1991
- Cable Television Laboratories, Student Research Assistant, Advertising Technology Research, Boulder, CO, 1991
- University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 1988 to 1991
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, Telecommunications Systems Laboratory
- Professional Research Assistant, IC Fabrication Laboratory
Professional Credentials & Memberships
- CISCO CCENT Certification
- Institute for Electrical and Electronic Engineers since 1991
Research & Scholarship
Studied the effects of Internet communication technologies on disjunctive interpersonal relationships using five years of data on cyberstalking incidents. Effort required significant use of SPSS and knowledge of a variety of multivariate statistical techniques.
- Barnes, S.D. and Biros, D.P. “An Exploratory Study of Computer Mediated Communications on Cyber Stalking Severity,” Journal of Digital Forensics, Security, and Law, 2007 2(3).
- Barnes, Stephen D., “An ISDN Desktop Central Office Switch for Rural & Remote Area Communications.” Telecommunications, March 1991
- Barnes, S.D., Biros D.P., Weiser, M., and Romano, N., “Incorporating Information Assurance in Systems Analysis and Design Curriculum,” Americas Conference on Information Systems, 2007.
- Barnes, S.D. and Biros, D.P. “An Exploratory Study of Computer Mediated Communications on Cyber Stalking Severity,” The 2nd Conference on Digital Forensics, Security and Law, April 2007.