Ideal for those who already possess a teaching license and for professionals seeking additional credentials, our M.Ed. in Reading program provides students with a graduate degree that enhances the teaching of literacy, including reading, writing, speaking, viewing and language development for all populations. The curriculum covers a variety of teaching strategies and assessments that emphasize current, research-based best practices reflecting state literacy standards.
Designed by practicing professionals, the Master's in Education in Reading is an online program. Although a few classes may be offered on campus as they are taken by other endorsement areas, this program is designed to be a fast paced online program for current educators.
Current teachers not wishing to complete an entire Master of Education degree can take up to 9 credit hours as a non-degree seeking student. Plus, our Teacher Education program is nationally approved through the Teacher Education Accreditation Council (TEAC).
Licensed educators and paraprofessionals are eligible to receive a 10% preferred tuition discount for all Teacher Education courses at Regis. Contact an admissions counselor at 800.944.7667 for details.
The M.Ed. in Reading has three distinct program options, two of which result in a Colorado Licensure Endorsement in Reading:
- Track 1 - Reading M.Ed., Non-Endorsement: Any licensed teacher is eligible for this track. Since this program is online, teachers can reside in any state. This program option does not require a practicum; instead, students complete a final capstone project.
- Track 2 - Reading Teacher Endorsement: This Colorado Teacher Licensure Endorsement is available for licensed teachers in Colorado and Wyoming only. This program option requires completion of all Reading M.Ed. course work and the Reading Teacher PLACE exam. After the PLACE exam is passed, students are required to complete a university-supervised practicum; which in most cases, can be completed in the teacher's own classroom.
- Track 3 - Reading Specialist Endorsement: This Colorado Teacher Licensure Endorsement is available for licensed teachers in Colorado only. This program option requires completion of all Reading M.Ed. course work and the Reading Specialist PLACE exam. After the PLACE exam is passed, students are required to complete and university-supervised practicum; which in most cases, can be completed in the teacher's own classroom. Note: Per Wyoming PTSB requirements, Wyoming Regis students must pass the Colorado required licensure exams in order to qualify for licensure in Wyoming.
Total Degree Requirements: 30 credit hours
- Required courses: 27 credit hours
- Capstone course requirement: 3 credit hours
Printable Fact Sheet: To download a printable fact sheet with details about required classes, admissions requirements, and start dates, please visit our fact sheet library. Please note: The best source for the most current information is an admissions counselor.
Required Courses (27 credit hours)
||Teaching Reading and Writing
||Reading and Writing Connections
||Reading Strategies Secondary Students
||Literacy for the Diverse Learner
||Reading Assessment and Intervention
||Evidence-Based Reading Techniques
||Literacy for Students with Special Needs
||Organization and Management of School Literacy Programs
Capstone Requirement (3 credit hours)
||Capstone Project in Literacy
|TOTAL DEGREE REQUIREMENTS: 30 credit hours
Please note that recent course requirement updates may not be reflected in the list above and you should contact an admissions counselor at 800.944.7667 for recent changes and updates.
To download a printable fact sheet with program details, click here.
How to Apply
Take the next step in your Regis experience and connect with a Regis admissions counselor for information and assistance.
NOTE: Regis University’s Master of Education program is nationally accredited by the Teacher Education Accreditation Council (TEAC). The states of Arkansas and Kentucky do not recognize this accreditation. Please call your state council on higher education to get more details.
MATERIALS NEEDED FOR APPLICATION AND ADMISSION
Applicants seeking a master's degree from Regis University must possess a baccalaureate degree from a U.S. regionally accredited college or university.
- Complete the online graduate application
- Application fee: $75.00 non-refundable application fee (waived for Regis University graduates)
- Submit official degree-bearing transcript a U.S. regionally accredited institution. Download the transcript request form.
- Minimum overall GPA of 2.75 on degree-bearing transcript with option of supplying additional coursework transcripts
- Critical analysis essay
- Current resume (optional)
- Copy of current teaching license
- Criminal background check: Applicants must have a $45 background check in order to complete their online application. View and print the instructions and disqualifying offenses to get started.
- Additional admission requirements apply to international students who are non-U.S. citizens
- Please remember: Applications that are incomplete and/or missing information will NOT be processed
||May 4, 2015
||April 6, 2015
||August 24, 2015
||July 27, 2015
*Your application file including all requirements, documents and fees, must be completed by the application deadline.
2014-2015 Academic Year Tuition: Effective Fall 2014 - August 25, 2014
||Estimated Total Program Cost
||Credit Hours Required
||Cost per Credit Hour
||Estimated Fees for Program
Directed study costs $475 per credit hour.
Please note: Additional fees may apply. Please contact an admissions counselor at 800.944.7667 for information.
Licensed educators and paraprofessionals are eligible to receive a 10% preferred tuition discount for teacher education courses at CPS. Contact an admissions counselor at 800.944.7667 for details.